old version of GLIB

Good evening:

  Am trying to install Gaim 0.59.6. Get the following error:

checking for glib-config.. /usr/bin/glib-config
checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.5...
*** An old version of GLIB (1.2.1) was found.
*** You need a version of GLIB newer then 1.2.5.
***
*** If you have already installed a sufficiently new version, this error
*** probably means that the wrong copy of the glib-config shell script is
*** being found.  The easiest way to fix this is to remove the old version
*** of GLIB, but you can also set the GLIB_CONFIG environment to point to
*** the correct copy of glib-config.  (In this case, you will have to
*** modify your LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit ***
/etc/ld.so.conf so that the correct libraries are found at run-time))

I have an old computer (PI @ 200 Mhz) running Redhat 5.0.  I have
installed both glib-1.2.6 and glib-2.0.4 (using ./configure, make, make
install, etc).  I know that the 1.2.6 install went smoothly but I still
get the above error.  This computer is my 1st linux box.  How do I get
past this problem?  I do not know how to remove old version of glib.
Don't know how to set my glib_config enviroment.  Don't know...oh, heck!
You get the point.  Looking forward to anyone who may be willing to help.
Thank you for your time.

Respectfully,

Vipin