Reluctantly here

I am looking for help on installation, rather than coding. Someone (see note) recommended trying here?

As a comment to the announced release of Pan 0.13.3 that appears on Footnotes, I recently wrote:

"I attempted to install gtk+2 from source..." after "the rpm" installation failed.

"I first received an error message, so, per the instructions, I established an environment variable for PKG_CONFIG_PATH.

I then receive the following error message:

checking for glib-2.0 >= 2.1.4 atk >= 1.0.1 pango >= 1.0.1... Requested 'glib-2.0 >= 2.1.4' but version of GLib is 2.0.6

configure: error: Library requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.1.4 atk >= 1.0.1 pango >= 1.0.1) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.
#

I have installed glib 2.2.0 twice with no problems, so I believe a more current version, as requested by the gtk+2 'tribe', should exist.

Installation instructions for pan & gtk+2 seem to avoid any explanation for resolving this dilemma."

Chris observed:

"This looks like you have an old version of glib2 lying around (2.0.6), in addition to the 2.2.0 which you claim to have installed.

As you're installing these from source, it could be that the old one is installed in /usr (look for /usr/lib/pkgconfig/glib-2.0.pc), and the new one in /usr/local.

My 2 cents, based on the info you've supplied. Since this forum is a bit awkward for troubleshooting, you may consider getting help from the gtk-users mailing list."
#

Well, it certainly seemed as if I had installed glib 2.2.0. Chris is correct; I have /usr/lib/pkgconfig/glib-2.0.pc.

How would I know what "the new one" is? How do I resolve this dependency problem?

If I am in the WRONG place, I hope you will tell me where to go!