looks like a synchronization problem

I'm trying to create a full screen window.
I create and show a new toplevel setting the size to screen size and
disabling decorations (gdk_window_set_decoration()). But this happens to
work only "sometimes".
For example the first creation of the window doesn't make it to go
fullscreen (border, title and controls of the window are still visible)
but the second does and so on and this seems to be completely random!
Since it looks like a synch problem, my question is this: it is necessary
to do some synchronization emang my app, X, WM ... or is this another
problem?

p.s. what I do after the creation (and this works perfectly in both
cases): getting a glX context from the window and rendering some 3D
openGl on it.