Font Problem

Hi;

I saw a reference to this in the list archive but no answers. I have the latest everything installed and compiled. (gtk2.2.1, glib, atk, pango). When i try to run the programs in test (test* or even gtk-demo) i get a core dump after failing to find a font. (Nimbus was causing problem and then I installed the TrueType fonts and now it is failing on Verdana). xlsfont shows about a hundred Verdanas though. Is case an issue? Is there a simple fix that someone knows? Did I do something dumb? Thanks for any help!

-Jim

(Redhat 7.3, all Patches.)
Jim Murff
Senior Staff Scientist