Re: need entry widget to dynamically resize to fit contents

>[gtk-2.2.0, pango-1.2.0, pygtk-1.99.14, python-2.3a1, linux]
>I need a gtk2 entry widget to expand (and hopefully contract too)
>so as to always display just the text it contains.  It is critical
>that all the text be visible, not scroll out of sight.  I'm using a
>monospace font.  Is there some neat way to do this?
>
>I've tried a 'changed' callback which does set_size_request, but
>calculating the right value (in a multiplatform environment) seems
>very hard.  Am I missing something simple?

this is what i use. it sets the size request for any widget so that it
will be big enough to display the given text. note that its broken for
GtkCombo, which stupidly makes a size request, then takes some of the
space for the arrow/button. i imagine its not been fixed in GTK2.

in the gtkmm list archives there is an equivalent using pango.

--p

/*
    Copyright (C) 1998-99 Paul Barton-Davis

    (at your option) any later version.

    Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.

    $Id: gtkutils.c,v 1.1.1.1 2001/11/24 00:44:26 pbd Exp $
*/

#include <gtk/gtk.h>
#include <gtkmmext/gtkutils.h>

void
gtk_widget_set_usize_to_display_given_text (GtkWidget *w,
					    const gchar *text,
					    gint hpadding,
					    gint vpadding)

{
	guint width;
	guint lbearing;
	guint rbearing;
	guint ascent;
	guint descent;

	gdk_string_extents (w->style->font,
			    text,
			    &lbearing,
			    &rbearing,
			    &width,
			    &ascent,
			    &descent);

	if (vpadding >= 0) {
		vpadding += ascent+descent;
	}

	if (hpadding >= 0) {
		hpadding += width;
	}

	gtk_widget_set_usize (w, hpadding, vpadding);
}