Re: What are map_event and unmap_event?

>Hi, everyone
>
>     My name is Jack. I am new to the list. My question is what the two
>events, map_event and unmap_event, are. I saw them used with the
>drawing_area widget but don't know what they are for, and the official
>API reference didn't document them.

they are a bit X Window specific, perhaps.

"map_event" is emitted when a window is first made visible on the
display, and "unmap_event" when it is removed. a typical (but not
guaranteed) signal event order is:

    show
    realize
    map
    hide
    unmap

"show" is a pseudo-event, it doesn't affect anything "real". "realize"
corresponds to the allocation of the underlying objects accessed by
GDK for drawing. "map" corresponds to those objects finally being
allocated a position on the display screen.

i suspect that for some implementations of GDK, the map event signal
might be missing, perhaps. not sure.