Re: emacs keybindings for gtk-2.0

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 05:48:44PM +0100, Michael Hagemann wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 00:05:44 -0500 Sean Dague wrote:
>
> > Please let me know if there is a way to use a different set of key bindings
> > without needing to run the whole gnome infrastructure.  Thanks for your
> > time.
>
> Try to put the following line into ~/.gtkrc-2.0 :
>
> gtk-key-theme-name = "Emacs"
>
> That should do the trick.  The corresponding Gnome menu is "Desktop
> Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts", by the way.

First off, I'm not running GNOME, so there isn't a gnome menu.

Second, that entry only appears to have any effect if gnome is running.  If
I launch gnome-control-center manually, I get a whole series of other
processes starting up (including the gnome-preferences daemon referenced in
my last email).  These take up about 20 Megs of resident memory.  When they
are running, the key bindings work fine.  If I kill them, all the key
bindings revert to defaults (this isn't just key bindings, fonts are also
affected in the same ways).

So my question remains, is there a way to adjust the behavior of gtk2 apps
without running GNOME like there is with gtk1 apps?  or is there an easy way
to rebuild gtk2 to have different default behaviors?

	-Sean