emacs keybindings for gtk-2.0

When I run xchat2 (which uses the gtk-2.0) I've found that my custom key
bindings (emacs style) only take effect if I run GNOME.  When not running
the gnome-settings-daemon, then gtk-2.0 changes (both fonts and keybindings)
don't take effect.

Is there anyway arround this, or is gtk-2.0 bound so tightly with gnome that
you can no longer really use one without the other?  Is there a way I could
recompile gtk-2.0 to default to emacs bindings instead?  The fact that
/usr/share/themes/Default/gtk-2.0-key/gtkrc contains:

#
# Default keybinding set. Empty because it is implemented inline in the code.
#

Didn't make this idea seem that reasonable.  Some quick grepping through the
current source didn't find where this was defined in code either, but it is
late so I could have been missing something.

Please let me know if there is a way to use a different set of key bindings
without needing to run the whole gnome infrastructure.  Thanks for your
time.

	-Sean