Help compiling pkgconfig-0.14.0

I have just downloaded gtk+-2.2, in a Win98 Intel P3 machine. Using cygwin gcc 3.2.x,I have compiled libpng and libtiff libraries without any problems, but although pkgconfig-0.14.0 produces no errors when I './configure' it, at compile time I get the following error message:
gstrfuncs.c: In function 'g_strsignal':
gstrfuncs.c:674: error: conflicting types for 'strsignal'
/usr/include/string.h: 75: error: previous declaration of 'strsignal'
gstrfuncs.c:674: warning: extern declaration of 'strsignal' doesn't match global one.

What can I do to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.
--

FYI
http://www.astro.umd.edu/~marshall/abbrev.html

E-Mail Policy
http://www.vif.com/users/escalante/Email_Policy.html

* You cannot exercise your power to a point of humiliation.
                               - Jean Chretien

* The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the
  power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty
  innocent, and that's power.
                                - Malcom X
* "Innocent until proven guilty", no... not in Canada!!