error: cannot run C compiled programs

Hello, I am currently having a ./configure problem I am hoping someone can help me with. I am new to Solaris/GTK+/GLIB/ etc. I'm trying to install the necessary packages needed for Gftp, Firebird and other GTK+/Glib dependent applications.

I installed dependencies for GLIB which included pkg-config, iconv, gettext. After successfully installing these dependencies GLIB wouldn't ./configure because it couldn't find libintl.so.2 which is part of libinconv. libintl.so.2 is currently located in /usr/local/lib - the default install directory. Iconv and gettext depend on each other so I attempted to re ./configure gettext --with-libint-prefix and --with-libiconv-prefix with the hope that in recompiling Glib it will fine the libintl.so.2 from gettext include paths which are searched and recompiled during the Glib build (is this logic questionable?). I got the following error:

checking for C compiler default output ...conftest.s

checking whether the C compiler works ... configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs.

Yesterday the compiler worked, now it doesn't. I haven't changed anything on the system since the build attempts. I would be grateful for any suggestions / direction on resolving this problem?

Thanks.

## ---------- ##

## Platform. ##

## ---------- ##

hostname = harns02

uname -m = sun4u

uname -r = 5.8

uname -s = SunOS

uname -v = Generic_108528-24

/usr/bin/uname -p = sparc

/bin/uname -X = System = SunOS

Node = harns02

Release = 5.8

KernelID = Generic_108528-24

Machine = sun4u

BusType = <unknown>

Serial = <unknown>

Users = <unknown>

OEM# = 0

Origin# = 1

NumCPU = 2

/bin/arch = sun4

/usr/bin/arch -k = sun4u

/usr/convex/getsysinfo = unknown

hostinfo = unknown

/bin/machine = unknown

/usr/bin/oslevel = unknown

/bin/universe = unknown

PATH =

/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/dt/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:/bin:/usr/ucb:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/lo

cal/bin

## ------------ ##

## Core tests. ##

## ------------ ##

configure:1156: PATH=".;."; conftest.sh

./configure: conftest.sh: not found

configure:1159: $? = 1

configure:1205: checking for a BSD compatible install

configure:1254: result: ./install-sh -c

configure:1265: checking whether build environment is

sane

configure:1308: result: yes

configure:1341: checking for mawk

configure:1367: result: no

configure:1341: checking for gawk

configure:1367: result: no

configure:1341: checking for nawk

configure:1356: found /usr/bin/nawk

configure:1364: result: nawk

configure:1374: checking whether make sets ${MAKE}

configure:1394: result: yes

configure:1530: checking for gcc

configure:1545: found /usr/local/bin/gcc

configure:1553: result: gcc

configure:1781: checking for C compiler version

configure:1784: gcc --version </dev/null >&5

gcc (GCC) 3.3.1

This is free software; see the source for copying

conditions. There is NO

warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR

A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

configure:1787: $? = 0

configure:1789: gcc -v </dev/null >&5

Reading specs from

/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/3.3.1/specs

Configured with: ../configure

--with-as=/usr/ccs/bin/as --with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld

--disab

le-nls

Thread model: posix

gcc version 3.3.1

configure:1792: $? = 0

configure:1794: gcc -V </dev/null >&5

gcc: `-V' option must have argument

configure:1797: $? = 1

configure:1817: checking for C compiler default output

configure:1820: gcc -S conftest.c >&5

configure:1823: $? = 0

configure:1852: result: conftest.s

configure:1857: checking whether the C compiler works

configure:1863: ./conftest.s

./configure: ./conftest.s: cannot execute

configure:1866: $? = 1

configure:1873: error: cannot run C compiled programs.

If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.

## ----------------- ##

## Cache variables. ##

## ----------------- ##

ac_cv_env_CC_set=''