Re: GTK extraordinary slow

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 13:26:00 +0200, Timo Nentwig <timo nitwit de>  said:

> GTK UI are extremely slow on my system. Resizing the window of e.g.
> Ximian Evolution takes several seconds, the same applies to resizing of
> the inner split panes; eclipse also is de facto not usable. It really
> takes up to 5-20 seconds(!).

You might want to try some *small* gtk-based application (such as the
xscreensaver-demo program or similar) and see if it exhibits the problem as well.

I'm not sure what release of the kernel or X server you're running, but I
wouldn not be at all surprised if the *real* problem lies elsewhere - Evolution
is a fairly hefty program, and it's quite likely your system is busy thrashing
or doing something else..

First thing to do is have a 'vmstat' or 'top' or something running while you
re-create the problem, and see what exactly the system is busy doing.  If
you're seeing a lot of paging and/or disk I/O during your pauses, the problem
is probably not GTK (at least not directly).