Re: GTK and menu bars question

On Sat, 2003-08-23 at 15:22, Tristan O'Tierney wrote:
> In KDE, you can turn on an option to use "mac like"
> menu bars, where the menus appear at the top of the
> screen instead of on each individual app.
>
> Would such a thing be possible in GTK if support in
> the respective desktop environments was added (Gnome
> for example)?  Or is this not possible due to the
> design of gtk?

Currently I don't believe that this is possible, due to the architecture
of GTK.  But I hope it's something that is considered soon.  I actually
kind of like that capability that MacOS has always had.  I can think of
a number of reasons why this won't happen, though.  One is that you'd
have to either have a menu server process, or some way to write to a
GdkWindow that belongs to another process.  Sounds kind of messy.  But
again, I would like to see it.  Perhaps EggMenubar or some other
extension library might be able to offer this functionality.

Michael