Re: Order of widgets when displayed on top of each other

On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 15:40, Paul Davis wrote:

> but when there is no sign that you can ever succeed in adding a widget
> unless you are part of the core team, the motivation to try is a bit
> hard to come up with. and that really *is* my perception: if you're
> not owen or havoc or tim, don't bother thinking you can add a new
> widget to GTK+. i know i'm not the only person who thinks this,
> although i'm open to the possibility that its wrong.

~This is simply not true. There are many people[1] who have got useful
widgets going into 2.4, including a new combo box, action based menu
stuff, an expander widget, new toolbar widgets.

These widgets were proposed and accepted, and showed that they were
getting more mature (mostly) by being in libegg.

> >>     * knobs

I don't think that knob type widgets like you use in Ardour are all that
commonly required. As far as I understand GTK is moving towards
providing the widgets that every app needs, and leaving other exotic
widgets like knobs, graphing etc to other add on libraries.

iain
[1] Mark McLoughlin, Kristian Rietveld, James Henstridge, Anders
Carlsson and Soeren Sandmann are the names I can find in the libegg
module of things moving to 2.4
--
"Miss Celine Dion sings lovesongs while our cities burn"