Re: Order of widgets when displayed on top of each other

>It's hard to get stuff into GTK+ because GTK+ has very high quality levels.

it does for additions. yet we've had misdesigned stuff like the combo
and the file selector around for years. that's where the paradox lies:
i love the high standards for additions, but it wasn't applied to the
first round of widgets GTK+ got. ok, i understand the rationale: "we
know its bad, but we're not replacing with something that isn't really
good". net result: misdesigned widgets that live for years.

>That's good. If people want something to go into GTK+ then they have to be
>prepared to discuss it thoroughly, provide rationale, and go through a few
>iterations until they get it right. So far nobody has done that for these
>things. It's not up to the GTK+ maintainers to do it all. Stuff happens when
>people care enough about it to do it themselves.

but when there is no sign that you can ever succeed in adding a widget
unless you are part of the core team, the motivation to try is a bit
hard to come up with. and that really *is* my perception: if you're
not owen or havoc or tim, don't bother thinking you can add a new
widget to GTK+. i know i'm not the only person who thinks this,
although i'm open to the possibility that its wrong.

>>     * knobs
>
>Now you are just being rude.

???