Re: lambda-like expressions for C

Edward Peschko wrote:

> To be useful, an eval-like library ( if lambda-like is misleading )
> doesn't have to be extensive. Nor does it have to be expensive.
The less extensive, the less useful...
But WHY interpreted code at all ?
Need to change something without touching the main program ? Then use
dynamically loadable modules:
1) They're fast (both load and exec)
2) They're extensive
3) You can write'em in (nearly) any compiled language.
4) You can pass all the context you want.

Back in the DOS days, I wrote a COFF loader just for this purpose. The
modules were "drivers" for some serial port protocols and simulators for
hardware parts. It worked quite well, with very little limitations.

The only drawback in this method is the security: it's hard to sandbox
the module, so it runs with the same privileges of the  calling
program...

BYtE,
 Diego.