How do I associate windows

I'm doing an app where I create a window and
pass to gtk_window_new(GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL)
On my initial startup I put a menu bar and a status bar in this window.
As I acces a menu I need to get it to create seperate windows each time.

I can do this with the same call gtk_window_new(GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL)
This works fine, except that the menu functions I have (zoom) in the
initial do not function in the new windows.  How do I associate the
windows together?