Building V2.2.0 with gcc V2.8.1

In case anyone tries building the V2.2.0 series on old(ish) systems in the
future, you may want to be aware of a problem I've just encountered.

I was trying to install GLIB V2.2.0, Pango V1.2.0, ATK V1.2.0 and GTK V2.2.0
on a SunOS 5.5.1 (i.e. Solaris 2.5.1) Sparc system which only had GCC V2.8.1
installed.

The installation of GLIB, Pango and ATK seemed to complete okay (although
they did have various warnings when I looked back afterwards) but GTK
wouldn't configure due to "could not build GLIB test program".  Looking at
config.log showed that it failed to link due to undefined pthread_*