Re: Forcing window updates

On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 16:30, Egon Andersen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a problem in an application, that some of my widgets in a
> notebook-page are not shown before I click on a button in the same
> notebook-page.
> It looks to me as if the gtk-engine somehow has 'forgotten' to show the
> widgets until 'something' happens in the window/notebook-page.
>
> I've tried to use gdk_window_process_all_updates() and hoped that it
> could somehow force redraw of the window/notebook-page, but without any
> luck.

You have somehow broken GTK+.... updates in GTK+ are supposed to
just work, so there is no function to call "make updates work".

If you can create a small standalone test, it would be worth filing a
bug.

> These widgets are created during a phase where I have frozen the display
> using gtk_widget_freeze_child_notify() and later it is thawed by
> gtk_widget_thaw_child_notify(), so I would expect that widgets are drawn
> after the thaw??

I don't think those functions do what you think they do... unless you
are implementing a container widget, there should be no reason to
call them (though I wouldn't expect them to have much effect one way
or the other.. notification of child properties is basically there for
GUI builders.) Removing these calls would be the first step to take.

Regards
,                                                Owen