[GTK2] Height of a menubar

I'm pretty new to all of this GTK stuff, but I did some research of course.

It seems to be unpossible though to get the height of a menubar (gtk2) WITHOUT actually creating a widget/menushell or whatever else is needed..

I've found that it should be possible to compute the height using the border width, inner padding value and the height of the default ui font being used in a menubar, but from other docs it seems that it's not possible to change the height of a menubar, instead, they're talking about some shadow option that could be switched on or off...

My question: Does anyone perhaps know how I can get that height value without creating any widgets, while only knowing about the font height? Is the number of pixels around the menu items always a fixed value or is it changeable (by the user?)

I hope someone understands what I mean :)

Thanks,
Richard