Need further help: how to draw points on drawing area

Hi,thanks who answered my first question.

Now I need further help:

I use a thread to get data from a sever through PDU. Follows is  the pseudocode inside this thread.
 while(1){
    receive PDU packet from socket;
    analyze PDU packet and get a point value;
    draw this point to the drawing area;
    update some labels accordingly;
}

if I put the above code directly in the drawing area expose event, there is nothing in the drawing area, and also the labels do not change.

Could anyone tell me how to draw these points to the drawing area and how to update the labels? Are there any example codes?

Thanks in advance.

Rose