From: Olexiy Avramchenko [mailto:ath beast stu cn ua]
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 2:55 AM
To: Ralph M. Los
Cc: gtk-list gnome org
Subject: Re: Problem with GTK+, installing?

Ralph M. Los wrote:

>Hi,
>
>	I'm new to linux so when I installed my Mandrake system, I was
>expecting somewhat of an easier time than this.
>
>	Essentially, what has happened is that I installed gtk+-1.2.9
(from
>source via the make utilities) and glib-1.2.8 as well (necessary!).  I
>am trying to desparately compile a package which requirs GTK support,
>and am getting a "gtk/gtk.h : File not found". When I do a locate gtk.h

>it appears in the /usr/local/include directory.

gtk+-1.2 comes with gtk-config tool (shell script). It must be located
(in your
case) in "/usr/local/bin". Read its manual or just start 'gtk-config
--cflags --libs'
it will show the location of gtk+-1.2 headers and libraries. If smth
looks wrong you always can edit it. Use that tool to compile your
program.

>I also copied it to /usr/local/lib with no avail.  Yes, ld.so.conf has
>the path to the gtk/gtk.h file(s), but this doesn't appear to be
>working.

Read manual for ldconfig - ld.so.conf contains the path for ldconfig
utility -
not include pathes. In the "/usr/local/lib" the libraries live. You must
not copy header files there.

By the way, if you compiled gtk+-1.2 from sources you can take a look at
"gtk+-1.2.9/examples" directory - its full of examples, each of them has
a makefile.

Olexiy