Colors for buttons

Hi all,

I am a beginner in gtk-programming. At our linux user group we would like
test which
library/language is the best to learn "widget programming". So we would like
program
a small game. It is called "Senso", a game pad with four great buttons in
four colors.
These buttons you can push after a color was shown...

Now I wrote a code which show me/us these buttons, but whithout color. How
can I
colorize these buttons and is it possible to switch these to a other color
("flash-effect").

Thx

Stefan