Re: Transparent background in window?

Joachim Backes wrote:
On 04-Sep-2002 Brett Granger wrote:

Though I keep hoping somebody will be able to explain to me otherwise, there does not appear to be any way to make top level X windows transparent or translucent with the stock GTK (due to a limitation in X itself, I believe)...

Hi, this is not correct:

when working with pure X11, you can use the

        Nonrectangular Window Shape Extension

Thanks, Joachim.

But I am not interested in non-rectangular windows via the shape extension (which I have used quite a bit) -- I am interested in translucent rectangular (alpha-blended) top level windows, preferably with minimal modification to X or to GTK. There have been previous discussions on this list (or was it the app-devel list?) about this, indicating that it is possible with DirectFB or perhaps faked using a patch from Owen. Seems like it ought to be possible to create something using the render extension, but performance might be an issue? I'm working in a remote display environment, so DirectFB might not really be feasible...

--Brett