Re: Transparent background in window?

>>  Though I keep hoping somebody will be able to explain to me otherwise,
>>  there does not appear to be any way to make top level X windows
>>  transparent or translucent with the stock GTK (due to a limitation in X
>>  itself, I believe)...
>
>Hi, this is not correct:
>
>when working with pure X11, you can use the
>
>        Nonrectangular Window Shape Extension

	 [ ... ]

to apply this to GTK rather than X, you need to look at

	gtk_widget_shape_combine_mask

this has to be used on a widget with its own window. that doesn't mean
"top level window", it means its own dedicated window for drawing
in. you can't use it with a GtkLabel for example - this widget draws
on the window of its parent.

--p