double click problem in treeview (Gtk+-2)

Dear List Members!

I have a problem when I try to catch a double
click signal on a GtkTreeView widget.

When I double click nodes without personally
added callback code, nothing happens. That's OK.

I want to add callback code so that I open an
dialog which allows data manipulation
on the chosen tree entry.
Everything's fine until I close the dialog
and move the mouse pointer into the tree view.
Then the entry is suddenly in drag-and-drop mode.

I tried to catch the release event to block this,
but this didn't work. The double click event
chain is press-release-press-2press-release.
So I wonder: IF the tree handles double clicks
on default, why does the drag-and-drop mode
turns on AFTER my dialog appears and how can
I prevent it? I checked if I returned FALSE
somewhere so the event may be propagated further,
but I think I did right.
Could anybody give a hint?

Here's some code from my callback function:

// if it is a double click
if ((event->button==1) && ((event->type &
            GDK_2BUTTON_PRESS)==GDK_2BUTTON_PRESS)) {
   // handle double clicks
   return TRUE;
}

// prevent single clicks