glib install question

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade to the latest GTK+/Glib/ATK/Pango packages. I
currently have redhat 7.2.

I just dowloaded glib-2.0, and installed it.  I received no error
messages, so I assume everything went ok.

I then tried to install atk-1.0.0 and pango-1.0.1. Their configure
scripts both gave the same error (printed in full below): "glib not
found." They suggested editing my  /etc/ld.so.con file to show the new
path. I did this (added the line    /usr/local/include/glib-2.0 to the
file), re-booted, and tried again. Same error

I ran /sbin/ldconfig. No success, same error.

I changed my LD_LIBRARY_PATH by typing "export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/include/glib-2.0" (i use a bash) . No
success, same error.

I then went to /usr/include/ and renamed my glib-1.2 folder. The hope
was that it would no longer be found, so the include would search to the
newer version. No success, same error.

I then copied /usr/local/include/glib-2.0 to /usr/include. No success,
same error.

My questions:

How do I uninstall my old glib and replace it with the newer version?
How do I make it available to other programs?

Thanks for your help.

-glenn

*** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
*** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means
*** that the run-time linker is not finding GLIB or finding the wrong
*** version of GLIB. If it is not finding GLIB, you'll need to set your
*** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to
point
*** to the installed location  Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if
that
*** is required on your system
***
*** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it,
although
*** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying
LD_LIBRARY_PATH
configure: error:
*** GLIB 2.0.0 or better is required. The latest version of
*** GLIB is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org