Re: Is there a canvas widget

Chris Nystrom <ccn olenska hn org> writes:

> Interesting. What is the design now, compared to the desired design? Just
> curious. What are the design changes that need to be made?

Well, it's not totally clear; a number of directions have been
discussed. One thing that's come up several times is that libart isn't
the vector graphics API Owen wants. But part of the work that hasn't
been done is documenting the issues.

> So basically you are saying is that the reason it is not included, is
> that the quality is not there, yet.

Exactly, there is a lot of work to do to include it, both
design/planning homework, and just fixing bugs.

If you want to be even more confused, there's a FooCanvas in module
"foocanvas" in CVS, which is essentially GnomeCanvas with the libart
pieces stripped out, and properly ported to GTK 2 using damage regions
and stuff. FooCanvas essentially reverts the canvas to the original
simple Tk design. But it's not very tested and hasn't been released in
tarball form. It may migrate somewhere more official sometime.
See foocanvas/README.

There are also some other canvas-like codebases floating around that
people have worked on, I'm not sure what all of them are...

Havoc