Re: MDI In Gtk 2.0?

This is pretty old, sorry I didn't send it sooner.

At 12:03 PM 3/6/2002 +0100, Nicolas George wrote:
Le sextidi 16 ventôse, an CCX, Mark Jones a écrit :
>       I am one who seeks MDI support from Gtk

Strictly speaking, Gtk has MDI: the Gimp offers a MDI interface, for
example. I think you are speaking about window in window (WiW), which is
a form of MDI.

> Whether MDI is a good or bad, apparently (and surprisingly to me) is
> hotly debated.

The main problem with MDI/WiW is that it does not work friendly with
virtual desktops. What if I want one document on one desktop and one on
another? <troll>MDI/WiW is a not-so-good solution to have usable MDI
with the rudimentary windowmanager that comes with ms-windows.</troll>

>                                                    My personal goal is
> to start a gnedit project, because the one thing I dislike about nedit
> the most is the lack of MDI, even though it is still my favorite editor

Please, do not make the MDI/WiW the _only_ MDI system.

I don't think it should be. I think there should be both WiW and separate windows, which would give me (and others) WiW and still allow separate windows for separate desktops.

To not allow for WiW because some like to use multiple desktops, is the same as not allowing for multi window because some use a single desktop. There are times both have their advantages regardless of how many desktops one uses.

Mark