RE: performance issues on win32

I have updated the timing comparisons at
 http://www.cat.csiro.au/cmst/staff/cameron/GDK/alltimes.html
with benchmarks using native Win-32 graphics ops.

Most of the speed problem seems to tie in with a poor match between the
X11-GC basis for GDK and the MS_Windows DC.
A lot of the time seems to be spent creating and
deleting pens and brushes and/or other objects.

It might be possible to get some speed improvement by delaying object
deletion
until a different one is required, but this would be at the expense of
added code complexity, and I suspect it might even be counterproductive
in some cases.

Cameron Davidson,

CSIRO Manufacturing Science and Technology
Qld Centre for Advanced Technologies
Australia