Re: Threading question (avoiding deadlock)

On Sun, 17 Mar 2002, Pascal Haakmat wrote:

> Hello,
> I was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction here.
> I have a program with two (p)threads; one thread running the gtk_main()
> event loop, and the other thread periodically updating the display in a
> gdk_threads_enter() / gdk_threads_leave() block.

This tends to be an common question. The answer is
"Don't use threads at all". It is not nessecary.

Use a

gdk_input_add( fd, GDK_INPUT_READ, GTK_SIGNAL_FUNC(file_function),
&datastruct );

to get input from another filedescriptor and update your UI in
the "file_function". Threads will only make things complicated.

Göran Hasse            email: gh raditex se     Tel: 08-6949270
Raditex AB
Sickla Alle 7, 1tr                              Mob: 070-5530148