progress bar issues

I have a piece of code inside a button click event
handler to create 25 child processes. After forking
each child process, I want to update a progress bar to
let the user know the status of the forking and how
may processes it has forked. I am incrementing a
gfloat variable by 0.04 every time inside the loop
which forks child processes and I am also calling
gtk_progress_set_percentage everytime. To my utter
dismay, the progress bar gets updated only after all
the 25 processes have been forked. I used
gtk_progress_get_current_percentage to see if the
percentage is correctly incremented and it is. And the
second time I click the button, the progress bar is
not becoming empty even though I have initialied the
percentage to 0.0 .

Thanks,
Srinivasan Sriram