gtk_item_factory_get_widget

Ok, i have a GtkItemFactory built for a menubar and it displays all
right, the problem comes when i want to change MenuItems properties in
run time, I've tried using

    GtkWidget *mni = gtk_item_factory_get_widget (menu,<path>);

the path exists, but the assertion error indicates ther the problem: mni
is NULL , so there's nothing left to do.. :(

I call gtk_item_factory_new and gtk_accel_group_new() in 'design time'
(i.e. while i create my objects) and gtk_main hasn't  been called. App
steps into mycallback (where i change menus) function whenever I run it
but generates this problem.

THNX!
SALUDOS!!!
rtriay