Newbie problems/questions

Hello all,

Started reading/working through Eric Harlow's "Developing Linux
Applications..", and have run into problems of various kinds.  I'm a C newbie
as well (iso C), so there are some things that would be obvious to
experienced C programmers that I'm sure I miss.  That said, I can write
simple stuff and read most code with some understanding.

I have used simple makefiles with success, but haven't gotten beyond the
basics, I'm sure.

Apparently, one's environment is not only important (what versions of what
utilities, libraries, etc.), but on several levels:  I'm running Linux
Mdk-8.0, Gtk/Gdk/Glib-1.2. x, with some extensive upgrades and additions.  I
have the development installation with as many -devel packages as I've found
available.  So far as I am aware, it all works together just fine, at least
for user apps.  Now for what I've done:

So I did most of the little widget stuff in the beginning of the book, and
then started in on some of the projects.  Finally got the clock to work
right.  Started in on the Calculator and managed to get it to display, but it
would seg-fault when I tried to use it.  Then I decided to try the Gnotepad,
which has several separate files.  Hacked a little Makefile with the proper
commands (--cflags for compile, and --libs for linking).  Huge list of
complaints and the compiler bailed on the first file.  Finally arranged the
list with main.c first and got it to compile, but notepad.c had all these
undeclared variables!

So I went to the MacMillan site and over to New Riders and found the
downloads of all the code in the book.  Calculator manages to work with some
extra header files, but the Gnotepad code is as bad as the code in the book
itself!!

Today I d/led and searched the entire Gtk mailing list from 1999 and found a
few references to some complaints about the code in this book, but the
comment was that the bugs were easily fixable.  And that's all, at least that
I found.

I would really like to start "getting it" with Gtk+, and thought perhaps I
could learn from some examples, at least enough to start getting a feel for
how Gtk+ is used, etc.  But, damme if I'm having any luck at all with this
book!!

Is there a subscriber to this list that might be willing to mentor this
newbie a while until he gets his feet under him?  If so, I'd be much
obliged!!  I really don't want to waste everyone's bandwidth with long and
dreary recitations of woe with lots of relevant (?) code included.

In any case, how should I proceed here?

Thanks to all for reading...<grin>

Bill Tallman