Re: How do online html docs in GTK+? in /portable/ way possible too?

Valdis Kletnieks vt edu wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jun 2002 15:11:32 BST, Chris Wareham said:

Are there any machines
out there with a char that isn't one byte? The PDP-10 perhaps?

Asiatic languages.  16 and 32-bit encodings of Unicode.

Or more correctly, 'char' is a one-byte, but this code is buggy because
it assumes that all representable glyphs are one byte wide.

Zarro boogs here. A char is one byte - and it has little relevance when
talking about "representable glyphs". A char doesn't necessarily imply
that one is dealing with strings of printable characters, it is simply a
shorthand for an integral type. My operating system happens to use the
ASCII character set, so it also happens to map nicely onto a char. Now
if my operating system used Unicode throughout then that would be a
whole different kettle of fish ...

Chris

--
chris wareham iosystems co uk (work)