Beginner

Hello. This is a beginners question, and I would
appreciate if someone answer it.

I have create a window with GTK with some entry
widgets in it.I want to use them to initialize some
parameters in a program I am writing.

So in my program I have:

main()
{
// some other things...

 create_window(); // the function that creates the
widgets

//INITIALIZE PARAMETERS ALPHA,BETA HERE

// Some processing

}

My question is how do I "stop" the execution of the
program until the values in the entry widgets have
been set?

I tried to put a variable "set" and to wait in an
infinite loop until this is set to 1( which would be
set in a function connected to a signal) but this just
makes my window turn black.

Any ideas?

Dave