Re: I18N text (Input methods?)

On 07 Jun 2002 15:24:09 +0200
Sven Neumann <sven gimp org> wrote:

> Ian Britten <britten caris com> writes:
>
> > [ PS - Ideally, I'd like to be doing this in GTK 1.2, if possible... ]
>
> you'd do yourself a favor by using GTK+-2.0 since improving the i18n
> support has been one of the main design goals of GTK+-2.0.

(sigh)... I started to look at porting, but there were so many problems
that I've had to delay it until later... :-(

>  It uses
> UTF-8 and Unicode all over the place and all text entry fields have
> a right-click menu that allows the user to choose from the list of
> available input methods.

Sorry, but somehow I guess I wasn't clear enough - I'm not using text
entry fields (Thus, that benefit would be moot...)
Think of a drawing program (like dia, etc), where the text is collected
and rendered right in the drawing area/canvas - That's what we're doing.

I'm trying to determine if those same techniques can be used to enter
Unicode text, and if so, how?

Thanks for the suggestion - Any other thoughts?
Ian