allocation returns -1, -1, 1, 1

I'm using gtk-perl but I think this is general GTK thing.

I'm adding hboxes as needed in a signal handler to hold rows of photo
thumbnails. The first hbox which is created before the main loop even starts
returns proper numbers from $widget->allocation but hboxes that are added
during the signal handler return -1, -1, 1, 1 for x, y, height and width.

I'm calling show_all on the hboxes parents to make sure everything gets shown
so I guess I need to some how force space to be allocated for the hboxes since
that doesn't seem to happen inside the signal handler?

--
Jason Bodnar
jason shakabuku org