Re: Checking modifier keys at any moment

>> >I have a handler for GtkTreeView's row_activated and I'd like to check
>> >there if at the moment of signal emision any modifier key (I'm mostly
>> >interested in shift and mod1 keys) is pressed. Is there any gtk function
>> >that returns current state of these keys at any moment?
>> >I use Gtk+ 2.0.5.
>>
>> i doubt if there is one directly. last time i looked, GDK didn't have
>> any notion of keyboard state per se.
>
>the GdkEventKey struct has a state value that has the state of the
>modifier keys as a bit mask using the GdkModifierType.

right, but the question was "is there a function that returns the
current state of these keys at any moment". if you don't have a
GdkEventKey or GdkEventButton handy, the answer is really "no". it
sounded as if the questioner wanted to be able to check on this from
situations where such a struct would not be available.

--p

ps. the code to do this under Xlib is amazingly baroque. you have to
fully grok the entire keycode->keysym mapping under X, just for
starters. i've been amazed that there was no simpler way to do it.