RE: compiling gtk 2.0.5 is an adventure.

David, Rene,

I have been trying to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH (there is nothing like ldconfig and
the /etc/ld.so.conf file on alpha) and I have been using
./configure CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include  CFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib
i.e. that's where the headers and the objects are.

the result is just the same.

Now, let's start the analysis of the problem again:

The configure script tries to figure out whether the function TIFFReadScanline
can be found in libtiff.a:

[from config.log:]
configure:13030: checking for TIFFReadScanline in -ltiff
configure:13063: cc -o conftest -L/usr/local/lib -I/usr/local/include
conftest.c -ltiff -lm  -liconv -lintl -liconv >&5
ld:
Unresolved:
__eprintf
configure:13066: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
#line 13037 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
[snip]

but instead finds that it does not even find the __eprintf function, it is nor
even coming so far as to decide whether the initial question for
TIFFReadScanline can be answered. as the build fails it concludes there is no
tiff support, but the trouble is in reality already with __eprintf.

Is my analysis correct?

Now, the same scheme happens for the function TIFFWriteScanline, let's just
skip it for the moment and proceed to the function test of TIFFFlushData:

[from config.log:]
configure:13362: checking for
TIFFFlushData in -ltiff34
configure:13395: cc -o conftest -L/usr/local/lib -I/usr/local/include
conftest.c -ltiff34 -ljpeg -lz -lm  -liconv -lintl -liconv >&5
ld:
Can't locate file for: -ltiff34
configure:13398: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
#line 13369 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C"
#endif
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
   builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char TIFFFlushData ();
#ifdef F77_DUMMY_MAIN
#  ifdef __cplusplus
     extern "C"
#  endif
   int F77_DUMMY_MAIN() { return 1; }
#endif
int
main ()
{
TIFFFlushData ();
  ;
  return 0;
}
configure:13415: result: no
configure:13528: WARNING: *** TIFF plug-in will not be built (TIFF library not
found) ***
configure:13539: error:
*** Checks for TIFF loader failed. You can build without it by passing
*** --without-libtiff to configure but some programs using GTK+ may
*** not work properly
[snip]

that's the real end of the testing: it does not find libtiff34.a (or .so).

I looked a little bit around and found some mailing list entries about
patching everything in just renaming or re-linking libtiff to libtiff34.

I tried this and, you guess it, the __eprintf error re-occured.

so? anybody more ideas?

   bye,

     Martin