OSF: glib configure skript makes trouble

Hi,

I am not on the list, so please cc me the answers, thanks.

Now, the machine is a OSF1 V5.1 732 alpha and I am trying to setup glib and
gtk, most recent version (2.0.4 glib and 2.0.5 gtk).

I am saying ./configure in the right place and get errors about not-found
packages; I installed them: pkgconfig and gettext.

Thereafter the message I get from configure is:
[...cut out....]
checking for LC_MESSAGES... yes
checking libintl.h usability... no
checking libintl.h presence... no
checking for libintl.h... no
configure: error:
*** You must have either have gettext support in your C library, or use the
*** GNU gettext library. (http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/gettext.html

This error even occurs when I tell the configure skript the location of the
libintl.h, and, I checked it: the file is there and is healthy.

 How would I proceed?
 Thanks for your advice!

      Martin