Re: OSF: glib configure skript makes trouble

Am Die, 2002-07-16 um 18.27 schrieb Martin Kestel:

> Ralf,
>

> >> Now, the machine is a OSF1 V5.1 732 alpha and I am trying to setup glib and
> >> gtk, most recent version (2.0.4 glib and 2.0.5 gtk).
> >>
> >> I was saying ./configure in the right place and got errors about not-found
> >> packages; I installed them: pkgconfig and gettext.
> >>
> >> Thereafter the message I get from configure is:
> >> [...cut out....]
> >> checking for LC_MESSAGES... yes
> >> checking libintl.h usability... no
> >> checking libintl.h presence... no
> >> checking for libintl.h... no
> >> configure: error:
> >> *** You must have either have gettext support in your C library, or use the
> >> *** GNU gettext library. (http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/gettext.html
> >Check the libintl.h related messages inside of the config.log which have
> >been produced during configuration.
> >

> this is what I find inside config.log:
>
> #include <libintl.h>
> configure:6211: result: no
> configure:6215: checking libintl.h presence
> configure:6222: cc -E  conftest.c
> cc: Error: configure, line 6218: Cannot find file <libintl.h> specified in
> #include directive. (noinclfile)
> #include <libintl.h>
> -^
>

> it does not seem to find
> /usr/local/include/libintl.h
> but it is there, I know it;
> I tried the following:
> I said:
>
> ./configure --oldincludedir=/usr/local/include --includedir=/usr/local/include
>
> just to get the same result.....
>
> How else would I tell ./configure about include directories?
Normally, /usr/local/include, by default, is in the include-path of any
ANSI compliant C-compiler. So, not finding files in /usr/local/include
could indicate a C-toolchain installation problem

(I don't have access to an OSF1-system, but OSF1 is known to be among
the most problematic systems configuration-wise.)

If using gcc, your toolchain definitely is broken.

If having gcc and another cc installed in parallel, you have to help
configure to pick up the desired compiler.
eg. CC=/usr/bin/cc ./configure ...
rsp. CC=<whatever>/bin/gcc ./configure

Forcing any c-compiler to using /usr/local/include should be possible
this way:
CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include ./configure

Ralf