GtkTextView question

Hi,

Is there some way to know in advance which lines will a GtkTextView
widget show on the screen before the expose event?  I'm writing an
incremental syntax highlighter (actually modifying GtkSourceView to do
incremental highlighting) and I need this information beforehand to
perform the tagging right before the expose event.

I tried hooking up the expose event, but I get some weird reentrancy
(when I scroll too quickly) that causes an assertion on
onscreen_validated to fail.  And besides, I don't think that's the
correct way of doing it.

Any ideas?  Can this actually be done?

Thanks in advance,
Gustavo