Re: How to configure/compile GTK+

"Lin, Lynn" <lynn lin Boeing com> writes:

> My name is Lynn. I am new to GTK+ .  I just got an assignment to evaluate
> the GTK+ to decide if we are going to replace Motif/X Window with GTK+.

The answer is yes of course! ;-)

I'd suggest basing your evaluation on GTK 1.3.x versions, which are
the betas leading up to the GTK 2 release. GTK 2 will clearly be
superior to Motif, while GTK 1.2 had plusses and minuses.

The documentation for GTK 2 is also much more complete:
 http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/index.html

The docs on building it:
 http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/gtk-building.html

> I down loaded GTK+ and glib and tried to configure/compile GTK+ following
> the instruction on GTK+ FAQ 2.3 (http://ww.gtk.org/faq ) as follows:

What operating system are you using?

> %./configure
> but got the following errors: GLIB 1.2.8 or better is required.
>
> Tried to solve above problem, I down loaded glib-1.2.10.tar.gz and following
> the instructions in INSTALL:
> 1. gzip -cd glib-1.2.10.tar.gz | tar xvf -

"tar zxf glib 1.2.10.tar.gz" is simpler if you have GNU tar (typical
on Linux systems)

> 2. cd glib-1.2.10
> 3. %.configure (config.log is generated)

What are the error messages at the end of configure?

> 4. %vi config.log and found some thing like
>    "Syntax Error configure:2233: cc -E -traditional-cpp conftest.c
> >/dev/null 2>contest.out No such feature exists.
>     cfe: Error: configure, line 3629 'sys_siglist' undefined."
>
>     I have no clue what are the errors.  Did anyone experienced this before
> ?
>     I really appreciate your help!!!

It's normal to have errors in config.log since configure tries
different things to see which of them work. You only need to pay
attention to config.log if configure did not complete successfully.

>    I continued to follow the instruction in INSTALL:
> 5. %make
> 6. %rm -rf /install-prefix/include/glib.h /install-prefix/include/gmodule.h
> 7. %make install
>     I got to an infinite loop.  The many of the following  messages kept
> displaying on my screen: "Waiting for garray.o.lock to be removed"

That's very strange, I've never seen that.

I notice you have /install-prefix in that rm command but didn't
mention running "configure --prefix=/install-prefix" - you need to
pass configure the prefix you're installing to.

Havoc