Re: Bug fix: gtk programs didn't work in zh_TW.Big5 locale

Mike Fabian <mfabian suse de> writes:
(B
(B> with recent CVS versions of gtk-1.2.10, programs linked against
(B> gtk didn't work in zh_TW.Big5 locale anymore.
(B
(BThere are no CVS versions of GTK+-1.2.10 :-). There is a CVS branch
(Bthat we'll use when we do 1.2.11, but there are no guarantees
(Babout the intermediate condition.
(B
(BThe RC changes in CVS were accidentally committed; we didn't revert
(Bthem because they were going in the right direction, and I thought I'd
(Bhave a chance to fix them up quickly, but, yes, there are a fair
(Bnumber of problems that I noticed when I reviewed the commit,
(Bincluding this one.
(B
(BIf you want a version of the gtkrc changes in CVS that actually works
(B(at least on Linux), please grab the Red Hat SRPM and use the patches
(Bfrom there with 1.2.10.
(B
(BMerging that patch and making it work beyond Linux is one of the
(Blarger work items whenever I get around to 1.2.11. (Wanted to do it
(Bmonths ago, sigh.)
(B
(BThanks for reporting the problem,
(B                                        Owen
(B
(B
(B> For example 'gedit' or 'gvim' showed garbage in the menus instead
(B> of traditonal Chinese. A gb2312 font (i.e. a simplified Chinese font)
(B> was used instead of a Big5 font.
(B>
(B> The following patch fixes the problem:
(B>
(B>
(B>
(B> It makes a local copy of the return value of setlocale(), which
(B> can then be modified without problems.
(B>
(B> Previously, the return value of setlocale was directly modified,
(B> changing it from 'zh_TW.Big5' to 'zh' which had the result
(B> that XCreateFontSet did load a gb2312 font later.
(B>
(B> Modifying the return value of setlocale() is not allowed according to
(B> the glibc info pages:
(B>
(B> glibc-info>     You should not modify the string returned by `setlocale'.
(B>
(B> As I am not subscribe to this list, please CC any responses to me.
(B> Thank you,
(B>
(B>       Mike
(B>