drawing rectangle

I am trying to write a simple program to draw a
rectangle on the screen. I have studied all the
examples, and I have found only one example dealing
with drawing a rectangle by the name of
simple-scribble. But, even in this case, the rectangle
is drawn by a "configure-event" and thru a box (
convoluted method). I wonder, is it necessary to do
both these things before I can get an elementary
rectangle on the screen. I just want to understand the
basics. The tutorial and examples given on www.gtk.org
do not cover some basic things.

 a. How to draw a rectangle or a line.
 b. How to put a pixel on the screen.
 c. How to put a font-ed string on the screen.

Can anyone help me with that. I am sure it must be
very simple, but I do not want to use any box, and any
event, except the one that of closing the window.
Thanks.
shiraz