Drawing on pixmap good just because "expose event" handled faster?

Is the only reason why drawing on pixmaps is preferred because
portion of window to be redrawn can be done faster
with regards to an expose event???

Is the sole purpose of inventing a pixmap object????
scribbl.c in GTK+ tutorial has a pixmap object to
be global I think and defined to be static.
This beast does not look very elegant and so I was
wondering why it was necessary and why or if there
was a way to simplify code even more.

By the way, expose event just means that window was uncovered
and needs be redrawn right?? Just checking.

Thanks,

Chris

| Dr. Christian Seberino  || (619) 553-7940  (office) |
| SPAWARSYSCEN 2363       || (619) 553-2836  (fax)    |
| 53560 HULL ST           ||                          |
| SAN DIEGO CA 92152-5001 || seberino spawar navy mil |