Re: Compiling gtk+ as user (non-root)

Problem solved

With the very helpful hint of a list member I found
my systematic error: My local bin folder resides at the
tail of my PATH variable. "make install" of
glib-1.3.12.tar.gz copies the following files into
~/local/bin: glib-genmarshal glib-gettextize glib-mkenums
(Remember I want to install as user, using "configure
--prefix ...")

When I make atk-0.8.tar.gz due to the PATH order an old,
system wide available glib-genmarshal is executed which
generates a ./atk/atkmarshal.c file with the outdated
function g_value_get_as_pointer.

I only executed "make clean" when I tried different
install environments, but never deleted the atk install
directory and reextracted the tar file. Therefore even
after PATH changes the error remained as the generated file
is not regenerated by the makefile.

The file is also generated wrongly if you
configure with correct PKG_CONFIG_PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
but make without setting them. (ok, this is a very unusual and
stupid way and one doesn't deserve a proper gtk installation
in this case, I must admit)

So, everybody who wants to install gtk locally, make
sure that your local bin folder is at the head of your
PATH variable.

export PATH="$HOME/local/bin:$PATH"

Considering this and following the first part of the
description below, should lead everyone to a successful local
installation of gtk and gimp.

I tried this with pkg-config 0.7.0 and 0.8.0 and both
versions seem to do the job.

It would be nice to summarize the main steps of a local
installation somewhere to make it easier for newbies
like me to get to know gtk. Is there a place where
gtk-documentation for Dummies resides?

Anyway, thank you for this great piece of software, and
keep up the good work. I hope I'll be able to join sometime.

Torsten