Re: Compiling gtk+ as user (non-root)

Hi again!

I'm lacking all the basic Linux programming and gtk-knowledge,
so I may be totally wrong, but I just 'greped' my way through the
source code and found a possible atk-bug:

glib-1.3.12/gobject/ChangeLog says:

Tue Feb 27 18:35:15 2001  Tim Janik  <timj gtk org>
 * gvalue.[hc]: marked g_value_fits_pointer() and
   g_value_peek_pointer() as private (the latter got renamed from
   g_value_get_as_pointer()).

The tarball atk-0.8.tar.gz contains a file ./atk/atkmarshal.c
which still uses g_value_get_as_pointer instead of
g_value_peek_pointer, though.
Therefore gtk won't compile (see initial message below).

After the substitution of g_value_get_as_pointer with
g_value_peek_pointer and after the recompilation of atk,
gtk gets configured and compiled without errors.
Even gimp-1.3.1 compiled perfectly.

So, now my questions:

Did I correct a bug, or did gtk compile after my
modification by chance i.e. due to other coherences
I don't overlook.

If it was a bug, why am I the only one who encountered
this severe problem, which even prevents you from
compiling?

If I solved the bug, whom shall I contact wrt atk
and how am I supposed to create a patch? (i.e. are there
any special diff options I shall use?)

Torsten

Torsten Scheck wrote:

Hi all,

I'm new to gtk and to linux programming, so please try to
bear with me.

I want to install gimp-1.3.1 as a user in my home directory
for I don't have root access.
The box runs Red Hat Linux release 7.2 (Enigma), but
gimp was not installed by the admin. (sad but true)

The INSTALL file notes that I need the following libraries
from ftp.gtk.org:

glib-1.3.12.tar.gz
pango-0.23.tar.gz
atk-0.8.tar.gz
gtk+-1.3.12.tar.gz

glib, pango, and atk were compiled and installed without problems
using these environment variables and the appropriate commands:

$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/home/torsten/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
$ export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/home/torsten/local/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH"

$ ./configure --prefix=/home/torsten/local
$ make
$ make install

The configure-script of gtk+ stops with an error, though:
---
checking for atk_object_get_type in -latk... no
configure: error:
*** Cannot link to Accessibility Toolkit. Accessibility Toolkit is required
*** to build GTK+
---

extract from config.log
---
configure:14978: checking for atk_object_get_type in -latk
configure:15011: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -g -Wall   conftest.c
-latk  -L/home/torsten/local/lib -latk -lgobject-1.3
-lgmodule-1.3 -ldl -lglib-1.3 -Wl,--export-dynamic
-L/home/torsten/local/lib -lgobject-1.3
-lgmodule-1.3 -ldl -lgthread-1.3 -lpthread -lglib-1.3     >&5
/home/torsten/local/lib/libatk.so: undefined reference to
`g_value_get_as_pointer'
---

When I do a

$ nm /home/torsten/local/lib/libatk.so.8.0.0 |grep value_get_as
         U g_value_get_as_pointer

the reference is undefined indeed, but I don't know if I'm on the
right track here.

The new gtk+-version needs pkgconfig-0.8.0 according to an
install note. RH7.2 only supplies pkgconfig-0.7.0, so I locally
installed pkgconfig-0.8.0.tar.gz. Then I re-configured gtk+, but
the error remained. Recompiling atk doesn't help either.

As you see, I'm totally lost.

Any hints?

I'm willing to learn the basics. I also appreciate pointers
to good documentation for beginners, dealing with the concepts
I'm lacking with this problem.

Thank you very much.

Torsten Scheck