Re: gtk+2 drawing on top of widgets

Paul Davis <pbd op net> writes:
> these days it seems to me a shame that the whole of
> GTK+ was not built around the Canvas, rather it just being another
> widget (inheriting from GtkLayout, in fact) ...

The trend is in that direction (various widgets became NO_WINDOW in
GTK 2.0, including buttons and scrollbars, and the double-buffering
stuff was added of course). For 3.0 you can expect things to become
more canvas-like, ideally vector graphics would appear at some
point. But 3.0 is a ways out, 2.2 and maybe 2.4 are likely to be
ABI-compatible with 2.0 and just add new widgets rather than
architectural changes. (Disclaimer, these plans aren't official yet,
just the tendency I've heard.)

Havoc