cancelling/aborting an emitted signal

Hello,

Can someone suggest the proper generic way to abort a signal from
actually causing the default handler to change the widget value. Must I
connect the signal handler in a certain order?

For example, in a "toggled" signal handler for a toggle button if some
condition is true then I want the "toggled" signal to be canceled so the
widget does not signify the change (a checkmark displayed or removed).
I've tried the following but get a Gtk Warning indicating there is to no
emitted signal to stop:

gtk_signal_emit_stop_by_name (GTK_OBJECT (button), "toggled");

Again, I want to know the generic method to cancel a signal within a
signal handler so the widget does not reflect the change. This applies
to GtkAdjustment value changes (for GtkHScale and GtkSpinButton
changes), GtkCList row selection and unselection, and others.

--
regards,

Luciano Chavez

lnx1138 us ibm com